I thought the recent spate of shootings and the pipe bombs might slow President Trump down a little, but somehow he’s stepped up his bullying and threatening behavior. He’s ratcheted up his attacks on the media, and he is no longer shying away from direct confrontations. He threatened to end democracy in Florida and cut federal aid for wildfires and hurricanes in areas that didn’t vote for him.
So what’s he really trying to do?
He’s trying to cut his non-supporters out of the American loop.
On purpose? Of course. It’s his basic kiss up, shit down, wave to friends, finger to enemies pattern. You didn’t vote for Trump? Get out of America. It’s my country. My cheesy poofs!!!
Just to be clear: In the real America, the sane, not-a-dictatorship America, Mr. Trump, you are the President of the United States. You are not the King. You are not the supreme leader, the Sultan or the Grand Pooba. You are not the Fuhrer.
- You don’t get to choose which fires to fight. When Americans need you, it’s your job to be there for them. All of them.
- You don’t get to choose which hurricane victims to support. If Americans need you, it’s your job to be there for them. All of them.
- The free press does not belong to you. You belong to the free press. If Americans need to know the truth, it’s their job to report it. And it’s not your job to decide what is truth and what is fake news.
- The justice department does not belong to you. It belongs to the people.
- It is your sworn duty to protect and defend the US Constitution. It is not your place to rewrite it, or to interpret it differently for different citizens.
Given your lack of tether to reality, you are the last person who should be speaking freely on Twitter, without a lawyer guiding you and an interpreter guiding the nation. This is why you have a justice department (your lawyer) and we have the free press (our interpreter). This is why presidents don’t spend their mornings tweeting letters to the editor.
Hindering the Florida voting would cause a constitutional crisis, something I assume is a fireable offense. Cutting aid to firefighters and Puerto Rican hurricane victims would be a despicable abuse of presidential power, also a fireable offense.
But how do you fire the President? How do you even find the time to list his fireable offenses? He has committed so many already that it’s impossible to keep up with them. Those are from the last two days.
Toss ’em on the pile, I guess.
That’s a tire fire nobody wants to light, which is why he hasn’t been fired yet. But sooner or later, there will have to be an accounting.