Forum

A Clockwork Orange  

RSS

Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
06/11/2018 9:44 am  

Terry brought up 'A Clockwork Orange' while responding to me in another thread. That was a very interesting film for me. I've never read the book, so I'm not trying to compare them, or judge the film as to quality. This is just me reacting to the movie.

My wife hated the movie. I thought it was great. But 'hate' and 'great' don't really encourage discussion the way 'why' does. I thought it was great because it challenged the way I think about people and morality.

The character, Alex, is just a horrible person. The movie is really three main scenarios, plus a conclusion. In the first part we see Alex committing acts of violence, just really repulsive stuff. In the second part we see his re-education, or reform, via "aversion therapy." In the third part we see his new, 'neutered' self going about his business once released, and then being horribly assaulted by a couple of his former gang mates, now members of the police. 

The conclusion, where Alex recovers his true self, is the psychological body slam for me.

A Clockwork Orange takes us, or at least took me, on an emotional ride. I at first was angry at the character of Alex, then I had mixed emotions about his treatment in prison, then offended at his 'aversion therapy,' then horrified at his new personality (like anyone would be offended at the results of a lobotomy), and then shockingly glad to see his recovery to his true self...the rotten, sadistic son of a bitch I hated in the first place.

I am not sure what this is telling me. Maybe there are no answers, just unsettling questions and curiosities about my own emotional reactions to things. 

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
06/11/2018 12:19 pm  

It's been a long time since I watched the movie. I didn't remember that he got his old self back; the last scene I remember was the old guy torturing him with Beethoven music. 

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
06/11/2018 1:06 pm  
Posted by: ventboys

It's been a long time since I watched the movie. I didn't remember that he got his old self back; the last scene I remember was the old guy torturing him with Beethoven music. 

Add rewatching it to your to do list, probably somewhere  around number 3,122.

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Share: