From @terriblemaps:

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ventboys liked
ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
04/11/2018 4:31 pm  

Expertise can be annoying, but the opposite is worse. The best thing of all is expertise that endeavours to educate. The worse thing is expertise that seeks to lecture.

I've noticed that people who are really good at their jobs love to talk about it, explain it, take questions...but if you are just a smug moron, expertise is wasted on your ignorant ass.

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
04/11/2018 5:11 pm  

What would your personal hell be, Gary? Think about it, and get detailed. I'll respond as soon as I get time (deadline tomorrow and I haven't had a day off since a week ago Wednesday).

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
05/11/2018 3:18 pm  
Posted by: ventboys

What would your personal hell be, Gary? Think about it, and get detailed. I'll respond as soon as I get time (deadline tomorrow and I haven't had a day off since a week ago Wednesday).

Coincidentally, today I read an article discussing happiness. How our ideas of happiness have changed throughout history, how happiness exists, conceptually, in relationship to our economic systems. Seems related to your question and no doubt is influencing my response:

Pure hell might be an eternity (all hell is for eternity, I guess) of extreme physical pain. But that's too easy as an answer.

I've done some thinking about this today (I had to go in for a training session at work, but I was thinking about this, all the same) and also finished reading the short 'happiness' article when I got home.

I like being alone. I like being left to my own devices. I have often said that I tend to live inside my own head...but I don't think that's really true.

I enjoy alone time...up to a point. I don't need a lot of social contact, but I need some. I enjoy sharing thoughts and ideas. It would be a complete absence of these things that would be hell for me. Isolation.

Isolation from external stimuli. I could lose my legs, I could be paralyzed. I could be blind, deaf. I would deeply regret these things. But so long as I could manage to communicate I believe I would still find value in my existence.

Internet is great for that reason...as a source of information, i.e., wikipedia and innumerable other such sources. Social media is terrific, so many ways to communicate with our fellows. I value the communications, both ways, more than actual physical presence. 

When I walk in the door I know immediately if my wife is home. I don't know how, but somehow I am sensing it at a subliminal level. Even if she's napping on the couch. I enjoy her company even if she isn't talking to me, even if she's just reading a book.

We go out to bingo sometimes, and it's sure not for the bingo. It's just being in a room full of people, taking in a few personal contacts, people you briefly know only in that setting. Or little interactions with cashiers or sales clerks or waitresses. 

But even if I lost all that, I'd still be sane if I had some form of reactive communications...perhaps even just one way communication, such as reading a book. Yes, so long as there were some thoughts, some ideas, coming my way, I'm still sane.

But true isolation, no incoming thoughts or voices or ideas...eternally...that's my idea of hell.

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
06/11/2018 5:30 am  

That's pretty good, sort of your "A Clockwork Orange" personal hell. We'll make sure to pipe in your version of Beethoven, maybe an endless loop of boy bands doing lip drills.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
06/11/2018 8:21 am  
Posted by: ventboys

That's pretty good, sort of your "A Clockwork Orange" personal hell. We'll make sure to pipe in your version of Beethoven, maybe an endless loop of boy bands doing lip drills.

Heh. If we want to go in that direction, never mind the boy bands. How about having T***p rally speeches piped in on an endless loop? 

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
06/11/2018 12:17 pm  

Hey, stay in your own personal hell!

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Share: