Forum

Attachments, embeds...

Attachments, embeds, videos, pictures, etc.  

RSS

ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 29, 2018 1:46 pm  

To add a photo, video or whatever, click on "attach files" (the paper clip thing below the post) and follow the steps:

Attach - click on it and it'll direct you to choose whatever the hell you are trying to add.

Start upload - click to bring your file to the internet, to the blog. You'll be prompted at the right to upload it, or it'll do it automatically (it does both, I don't know why).

Once you get the pink box at the right, that means it's uploaded.

Insert into post - that puts it in the post, shown as <?>. Whatever is in between the <> is your embed. Once you save the post, it should show up as the picture, video or whatever that you uploaded.

You should be able to share URLs too; I'll figure out how and post it here. 

Take it out for a spin, try a few out and get comfortable doing it. Gary, I think this is how you can bring tables to the page. Thinking about it, I'm going to try one now.

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
October 29, 2018 1:55 pm  

Yeah, cool, I saw the manamana thing you did. Seems straightforward enough.

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 29, 2018 1:59 pm  

I bought it, 25 bucks a year so I don't have to beat my flipping head against the wall sounds awfully cheap  🤗 

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 29, 2018 2:00 pm  

This place is awsome ... the plug-ins I can get, now that I'm in the business class, are amazing. It's going to take awhile to figure them all out, but this place can land the space shuttle.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
October 29, 2018 2:11 pm  

I'll upload something from my laptop

Cool, that works. I think you have to use the paperclip tool from the toolbar (that appears above the post as you create it) to link to a youtube video or other internet content (?).

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
October 29, 2018 2:14 pm  

Thunderclap Newman "Something In The Air"

No, that's just the link, okay, now I edited the link...the second field, so now at least we have a straightforward label. Not sure how I might go about using a photo as a link rather than a text label.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
October 29, 2018 2:19 pm  

By the way, I still have no idea how to edit my profile so that a picture of my choice shows up instead this blue and white thing.

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 29, 2018 2:27 pm  

There is a learning curve, as usual ... just play around, hit buttons until you find one that works. That's how I do it.

I'm working on tables ... I downloaded a table designer that'll work on the regular site, but I have to see if it works on the forum. 

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
October 29, 2018 9:18 pm  

Okay, copied an imagur file, let's see what happens:

Not bad.

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 29, 2018 11:11 pm  

Looks good - but what's imagur?

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
October 30, 2018 12:29 am  

www.imagur.com You would need to create an account, but it's free.

You can, and I did, create a table in excel, then clip out the table as a graphic image and upload to imagur, where you can then view the image and copy the address so you either link to it, or just view it as an image and copy it and paste it.

I'm probably missing some steps...jgf704 explained it in that Chris Sale thread...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

1. Create the table using your favorite program (Excel for me).

2. Use the Windows Snipping tool and isolate an image of the table. However, there is no need to actually save the file. By default, the Snipping Tool puts a copy of the image in your clipboard.

3. Go to www.imgur.com

4. On the "New post" drop-down, select "upload images":

5. Hit control-V. The contents of your clipboard (which is the snip created in step 2) will be uploaded. Hover your mouse somewhere in the image. A little drop-down list will appear:

Edit image" allows you to do simple things like crop and/or change the size. More often than not, you won't need to edit. 

6. Select "Get share links". 

Hit the blue copy button corresponding to the BBCode entry.

7. Go to your post and hit control-V to paste the BBCode into your post. The code will be something like:

[img] [/img]

8. Submit your post in the usual way. An image of the table will appear as part of the post:

FWIW, the [img]xxx[/img] tags can be used with image url's as well.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

He had some pictures to support this; you can look it up, it's in post #7 of that thread. 

Another method is to create tables in excel, copy them into word, convert the final document to pdf and then link to it. This method limits you to a certain width of view though. 

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Admin
October 30, 2018 9:45 am  

I'll give that a try, that sounds like a winner.

ReplyQuote