Forum

Interview with David Suzuki  

RSS

Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
29/12/2018 12:45 pm  

This is just tremendous - unlike me, Suzuki is clear and direct and confident - well worth the 5 minutes it takes to read.

David Suzuki Pulls No Punches

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
29/12/2018 2:29 pm  

What did he actually say, though? I mean, he said a lot of things, but what did he say to you?

To me it's mostly an  old environmental warrior venting frustration, with a nice mix of good information and interesting points. A nice piece to read. But what is our discussion point? What did you get out of it, Gary?

I've written about climate change quite a bit, and honestly I've probably written from less actual environmental experience than 99 percent of the people who have written as many words as I have. So, while I'm not necessarily tapped out for things to say, I'm more interested in solutions than frustrated rants about what I consider a pointless exercise.

What pointless exercise? The one where we all try to be better people. It doesn't work. Idealism, to me, is just an incredible waste of time. Hard, pragmatic solutions are useful. That's where I prefer to do my research, and where I prefer to concentrate my attention.

Does this guy have solutions? If so -- he's clearly dedicated and knowledgeable -- I'd love to read about them.

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
29/12/2018 2:31 pm  

His political ideas are interesting to me, probably more than his environmental ideas. I think he's more astute in that area, and I think it suits his problem-solving technics better.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
29/12/2018 3:42 pm  

I don't know how familiar you are with David Suzuki, but I've been aware of him since I was in junior high school. So I may be getting more out of this interview because of my awareness of his work and his journey. Some of his political commentary was especially striking to me just because I am familiar with Canadian politics...especially provincial politics.

I loved what he said about Dave Barrett. It reminded me of something that's been in the back of my mind for a long, long time, something that I have never consciously articulated. The idea that while it's great to have ideas and to try to get elected, or re-elected, you should have no fear of not getting elected or re-elected. If you start compromising all of your  ideas just to get or stay in political power, in the end I think you are just in it as a paycheque politician.

I loved Dave Barrett. He got an absolute ton of progressive, even visionary legislation passed here in British Columbia and had no fear of being defeated politically. That makes him a peach in my book.

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
31/12/2018 8:55 am  

I don't know why idealism leaves a bad taste in my mouth; it really shouldn't. Idealism is, basically, political enthusiam. If we can't care, we won't try.

I think it's because of the Trump situation. Idealism has been stood on its head and used to manipulate people into voting for their fears and superstitions -- their innate -isms -- rather than for their self-interest.

It's like home repair. When everything is working, you worry about the color of the carpets and whether or not to get new furniture for the den. When something is damaged, though -- say, the foundation is crumbling -- you have to fix that, no matter how much it costs. And nobody gives a shit about the furniture. 

And if it's on fire? Believe me, nobody cares, even about the foundation, until the fire is out. Idealism is a good thing, but not when the house is on fire.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Share: