Forum

Dawn of the Wed  

RSS

Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
02/11/2018 4:46 pm  

I had a friend named Don. Don got married to a lady named Dawn. That's right...Don and Dawn.

At the wedding I was seated and occasionally standing during the ceremony, behind Don's two sisters. As the minister went through his paces, he kept repeating their names, as in "Do you, Don, take this woman, Dawn..." His sisters were sputtering with laughter, barely able to restrain themselves...but managing.

I thought to myself how embarrassing it would be to just burst out laughing. The thought struck me as being so god damned funny that I was suddenly overtaken with an almost overwhelming need to do just that. I practically gave myself a hernia in the effort to restrain myself.

The reception was held at a chinese restaurant. Mmmmmmm.....chinese food.

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
05/11/2018 12:22 pm  

This is a life story, right?

I think I need to prune the forums down a a couple, so it's not a confusing mess.

I do want to have some categories, not just one big session like BJOL, but how many is too many?

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
05/11/2018 3:25 pm  
Posted by: ventboys

This is a life story, right?

I think I need to prune the forums down a a couple, so it's not a confusing mess.

I do want to have some categories, not just one big session like BJOL, but how many is too many?

Maybe we don't want categories? I don't mind the BJOL thing where the thread titles are the thing.

Well, maybe just two categories...Politics, and everything else. I'm okay with that idea. I think that we want as big a group as can possibly coexist in a reasonably civil manner. On BJOL, "civil discourse" exists on all of the threads except the political ones.

So long as new threads are bolded, as in BJOL, to let you know if there are new responses, that would be fine with me.

Whaddya think?

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
06/11/2018 5:27 am  

It might just be that we need a couple of categories, but not a bunch. I'm 99 percent sure that there are too many now, and maybe 40 percent sure two is the right number.

The best number might be four. My reasoning is that the human brain handles things in fours pretty well. Twos tend to devolve into either/ors, threes feel a little sparse, fives tend to cause brainal confusion, and numbers above five are usually cut into sections, divisions or subsets.

Off the top of my head, these would be the four:

• Baseball -- includes all sports
  • Entertainment -- If it involves celebs, artists or reality television, it's probably here, unless it's
  • Politics -- Trump almost defines the line between entertainment and politics
  • Personals -- I could call it miscellaneous, but I'd have to go look it up to make sure I spelled it correctly

We can let the categories germinate for a few days, but I doubt the top three will change. Maybe baseball/sports will simply be "sports."

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Share: