Forum

Horatio Alger Lives  

RSS

ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
17/01/2019 2:51 pm  

What a great story! I'm going to start following the PGA again, just to root for him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2019/01/17/golfer-jose-de-jesus-rodriguez-goes-undocumented-laborer-pga-tour/2606928002/

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
17/01/2019 5:53 pm  

You gotta love it. The thing is that most players come to the big stage via certain pathways, like canned peaches find there way to the supermarkets. It's so cool when someone arrives from outside the accepted structure. 

In baseball I remember Ron LeFlore who got to the major leagues only because Billy Martin saw him in prison (Leflore's story has a different atmosphere, of course, but it is similarly unlikely).

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote
ventboys
(@ventboy)
Member Admin
17/01/2019 6:47 pm  

This is the sort of thing that BJOL can be really good for ... the guys would go on for pages, sharing other Horatio Alger sorts of rags-to-riches stories. It's too bad we can't get a few of them to come post here, but I think the Bill James cache keeps them rooted.

Curmudgeon would be a great name for a newly discovered species of crab.

ReplyQuote
Gary Fletcher
(@gary)
Member Moderator
17/01/2019 10:21 pm  

The BJOL advantage is the same advantage any established thing has, a history that keeps its users uninterested in competitive products. Twitter and Facebook are like that; there can be and probably are better platforms, but the users have built up such a history...it's hard to pry them loose. 

I get that, too, because over at BJOL I've got a probably three thousand posts (at least) and they have responses and it's hard to abandon all that, plus the relationships you tend to build up with the other members.

But, relationships do peter out (not always) and that may be happening for me with BJOL.

He walks without purpose to an uncertain fate

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Share: